Part of an extensive open space network along the Dodder, Bushy Park extends to 20.5 hectares. The park originated in 1700 when Arthur Bushe of Dangan, Co. Kilkenny, Secretary to the Revenue Commissioners, built the house known as “Bushes House” on a site of 4 hectares. A John Hobson became owner in 1772 and changed the name to Bushy Park, possibly after the park in London of that name. Purchased by Abraham Wilkinson in 1791 who added almost 40 hectares to the estate, he gave it as a dowry to his daughter Maria when she married Robert Shaw in 1796. George Bernard Shaw was a distant relative, his grandfather being a nephew of Sir Robert Shaw (1st Bart). The Shaws were connected with Bushy Park for the next 155 years until 1951 when they sold the estate to Dublin Corporation.
In 1953, the Corporation sold 8 hectares to the Sisters of Religious of Christian Education but later re-acquired 2 acres of woodland in 1993.
The park is noted for its woodland walks, ornamental ponds and beautiful Dodder Walk as well as catering for football, tennis boules, and children’s play. Dublin City’s first public skatepark was opened in 2006 in Bushy Park. It consists of a concrete bowl surrounded with typical street elements. The park is open to skateboarders, in-line skaters and B.M.X. bikes.
For more information about the Terenure Village Market and the Bushy Park Native Tree Trail, visit http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-recreation-culture-dublin-city-parks-visit-park/bushy-park