Cherry Orchard Hospital opened in November 1953 to replace the old Cork Street Fever Hospital. This old hospital had been set up in 1804 by Dublin businessmen, among them Arthur Guinness and Samuel Bewley.
Dr. Noel Brown was Minister of Health when Cherry Orchard Hospital was built. He had worked very hard to get all children in Ireland vaccinated against infectious diseases such as TB and polio. He was Minster of Health when turned the first sod on the site for the new hospital.
The HSE Estates required that the hospital carry out an audit of its site including site boundaries, possible encroachment and a full topographical survey of the area left to extend the hospital.
A comprehensive land survey was carried out to establish the extent of the boundaries and the re-registration of the adjoining houses boundaries and the mapping and setting out of the original fixed boundary positions.