University Hall, also known as Hatch Hall, was a Jesuit student hall of residence at Lower Hatch Street in Dublin. Founded by the Jesuits in 1913, University Hall provided accommodation for third level male students studying in Dublin until its closure in 2004. The Jesuits promoted a spirit of ‘Friendship, Faith, Involvement’, and the hall was well known for its community spirit. The hall’s motto was Sic Luceat Lux Vestra; in this way let your light shine. The architect for the building was CB Powell.
In 2004, the property was bought by Gerry Barrett, a property developer from Galway. It is currently in use as a home for asylum seekers, although it is understood that Gerry intends to develop the hall into a hotel.
We carried out a survey of this historic 2787m2 listed building.
The building was occupied at the time. The proposed was the refurbishment of University Hall (protected structure) and its change of use from Residential/Education use to a hotel.
The building was extensive and included a listed chapel and the survey was to include the outside envelopment including Hatch Street and Hatch Lane.
The contiguous elevation on all site sides had also had to be surveyed including the internal courtyard and elevations within the courtyard.